The Las Vegas Club originally opened on Fremont Street in 1931 between where La Bayou and the Pioneer Club stand today. It was one of the first businesses to obtain a gaming license when Nevada re-legalized gambling that year. It also featured one of the earliest neon signs to be installed in Las Vegas. In 1949 the club moved across the street to the bottom floor of the Overland Hotel, and later featured a 120 foot tall vertical blade sign that was the tallest sign on Fremont Street for over a decade. It eventually absorbed the Overland Hotel and offered hotel accommodations until 2013. Renowned casino owner Jackie Gaughan bought the club in 1961 and added a treasure trove of sports memorabilia. The sign in the Neon Museum was not actually part of the club. Based on photos of the area, the museum's sign was located near El Cortez farther east on Fremont.