Four unhealthy ways to talk about 'Offering'
1. Using emotionalism (making people feel guilty of not giving towards the ‘work of God’) By making someone feel bad about not giving money to a church is a terrible way to tell them about a God who so loved them that he died for their sake.
2. Teaching quid-pro-quo (“Using God like a slot machine”) Quid-pro-quo is the exchange of “something” for “something else” - basically teaching that “you giving to God causes God to reward you directly and solely because of your giving”. But nowhere in the Bible do we learn that our God is a heartless transactional being. In fact that is how religion works. Religion’s core idea is trying to reach God by paying for it – with money, time, prayer, sacrifice or some combination of that.
3. Teaching religious duty based on fear (“If you don’t give, you are not in line with God’s will and that is opening a door for evil in your life”)
Don’t believe that. That is not true. If you are fearful about your financial situation, there is a certain sense of healing that can come to you by giving but honestly God only wants to help you overcome your fears not use fear based tactics to get your money. He doesn’t need it. He wants you to first feel loved and then give out of that place.
4. Finally, avoiding or not teaching on the issue at all. Or being overly cautious and therefore not speaking about it out of fear of being misunderstood.
As a church our giving is in a specific context that we have to understand:
1. We already have God’s favor by grace
2. He’s not on our back for our money, because He doesn’t need it, and also, it’s already His.
3. His anger towards our sinfulness has already manifested once-and-for-all in our crushed savior, His only-begotten Son, Jesus
When we give cheerfully and with thanksgiving in our hearts, we are:
1. Developing Christlikeness in generosity
2. Overcoming the love of money
3. Acting out our faith with deedsAll these are priceless things to learn.
#Church #SermonSeries #Unchurched #worship #nlfavatar #sundaysatAvatar #Christ #Gospel #sundayservice #bandra #community #churchmedia #churchdesign #worshipleader #worshiptime