I timed making this breakfast as a few people have asked how long it takes and occasionally I worry it is a bit of a waste of a busy bookseller’s time. So here goes:
1. Four minutes to change the Christmas baubles to matching colours. I am still using the Japanese anemone seed heads from @lowerhousegardenhay
to hang them from and I keep a small box from Christmas windows past to play with under the kitchen table.
2. A minute to get spinach, butter, eggs and salmon out of the fridge and the spinach into the microwave.
3. Two minutes to slice @katesbakeryhay
dark sourdough rye and put it into the toaster, light gas, put butter in the pan and put on the kettle
4. Two minutes to break eggs and beat them, add salt and pepper and put them into the pan
5. Just over a minute messing them in the pan and then off the heat - @thorneaddyman
has taught me never to overcook eggs
6. Two minutes to make coffee and butter toast.
7. Four minutes to arrange spinach, egg and smoked salmon add more pepper and pour the coffee.
8. One minute out while I filmed the falling snow outside my back doorway
Altogether it took about 20 minutes and now I’ve eaten it and am typing this while finishing the strong coffee. •
The book starring in today’s #booksellersbreakfast
is Nurse’s Memories by Charlotte M Yonge and a perfect round up of a year illustrated with absolutely gorgeously bright chromolithos. I don’t really enjoy stacking photos so see our story for some wintry Christmas scenes and other times of year. The book was published in 1885 and is for sale. DM us for details or find it on our site or @abebooks
#addymanbooks #hayonwye #beautifulbooks #charlottemyonge #childrensbooks #chromolithograph #coffeeandbooks #scrambledeggs #scrambledeggsandsmokedsalmon #spinach #healthybreakfast #booksforbreakfast #booktown #usedbooks #oldbooks #bookshop #usedbookstore